Monday, April 5, 2010

You Can Still Wear Cute Shoes

There are lots of words, titles, thoughts that describe me. Some of them I would like to rid myself of, but there is one I love that will always be a part of me.....pastor's wife. I knew God called me to be a 'ministry wife' before I met Nathan, I just didn't know exactly how it was all going to play out. Music guy, missionary guy, youth guy, pastor guy? Only God knew which one of these 'guys' was the best for me. And here I am eleven years after marrying my spectacular pastor guy. There is too much to know about being a pastor's wife that it can't all be jotted in one post- or any one book, but I do want you (specifically other minister's wives - or future ones who don't have their 'guy' yet) to know about a book I recently finished. Lisa McKay has written and recently released You Can Still Wear Cute Shoes -
'An utterly honest, charmingly-witty, and biblically insightful guide for every minister’s wife who wants to serve the church and support her husband -without losing herself along the way.'
I loved this book because of Lisa McKay's willingness to write about the realities of life married to the ministry in an easy to read, straight-forward manner. She writes like she is sitting across the table from you chatting over a nice Starbucks drink. She uses Scripture to set forth strategies for dealing with the issues that are often struggles in the life of the woman standing next to the man in the pulpit - church conflict, fitting a mold, friendships, raising PKs, saying hello and goodbye. There are questions at the end of each chapter to help you evaluate where you are on each topic.

If you have ever wanted to know what life is like living in the fishbowl of ministry, grab this book. Lay people and staff wives alike will get a good glimpse of what it is like for a woman, called by God, to serve alongside her ministry guy. Definitely a good, easy (I finished the 198 pager in under 24 hours with four kids) read for any woman in the ministry and a great encouragement to those drowning in the turbulent waters of their calling.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...