Monday, April 23, 2012

Just What I Need

I am really not sure what we were thinking all along, but this new plan worked amazingly well. My college roommates and I spent the weekend in Austin catching up and relaxing. The exciting part was leaving all 12 kids at home. We usually meet with all the kids......and have a great time. It's just not very relaxing. It's a lot of work. The kids just love being together and a fun time is had by all. This time around with 'mommies only' was just what I needed. These two girls have known me for decades and we just get each other. I am not their pastor's wife. I am not their counselor. I am not their employer. I am not their crisis manager. I am their friend. I don't have to be anything else and they don't have to be anything to me. Being a ministry wife can often put me in a bubble and these two have never been on the inside of that bubble. I like it that way. I'm sure they do too. Our relationship will always be different from those in the bubble. No matter what friendships I form in the church, at the end of the day, I am always married to their pastor.

I am reminded each time I talk to the roommates on the phone or see them how much I need a relationship like the one we have. It does not have expectations or requirements of me (perceived or real) and it allows me to be stretched and grow in the Lord. They love the Lord with all their hearts and want to see Him glorified in all of us. The Lord regularly uses them in my life to convict me, shape me and show me more of who He is. I am so thankful that though the miles separate us, the Lord continues to draw us close. Our time together was full of laughter, near tears, thoughtful and meaningful conversations, and no expectations for greatness. It was as treasured time and sure beyond great! We are trying to figure out how to get the three dads to keep the 12 again soon.

1 comment:

  1. My best friend and I have never lived in the same city and for the last 10 years not even the same state. As much as I miss her I think there is something to be said about having your confidant not being involved in the mundane of everyday life. It also makes the time you do get very special!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...